ARFF by Silas

ARFF by Silas

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Grief and Gratefulness

When I woke up this morning, I learned that Doug Peters had passed away. I am so sorry he is gone, and I mourn with his wife and daughter and all who loved him. He was way too young to die.

When I think of Doug, I am full of gratitude. He put in endless hours as the band teacher at Bigfork for 20 years. He inspired his students, including my sons, to pursue music with a passion. His pep band was award-winning, with some of us attending games just to get revved up by the music. I am grateful for the time he devoted to early morning jazz band practices for students who were willing to show up and work hard. I am grateful for the memories of outstanding Christmas concerts by the 5th-12th grade bands at the Bigfork Playhouse. The community loved hearing the kids play, but we also enjoyed his often humorous introductions to the songs. I miss his annual challenge to see how many carols we could pick out of the holiday medley.

Today I mourn the loss of Doug's life, but I am grateful for the music and joy he brought to our school and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment