ARFF by Silas

ARFF by Silas

Thursday, September 8, 2011

This Year I Will...

I was asked to sub in an 8th grade class this week, so I asked Matt J. If there was anything in pariticular he wanted me to discuss with the students. He mentioned the potential power the 8th grade class has to set a positive tone for the entire middle school, so I based my lesson plan on this topic, and posed a challenge to the kids.

I began by having them reflect on 7th grade, and the specific things the 8th graders did that influenced their year. On the positive side, dances and lunch tournaments were mentioned. On the negative side, drugs and mean girls.

The discussion quickly moved on to this year. Only three days in. The students are still optimistic and came up with lots of ways to make this school year the best ever. Now comes the challenge.

I gave each student a piece of paper and asked them to write a personal statement beginning with, "This year I will..." Their assignment was to think about their own interests and strengths and what they would be willing to do to make Bigfork Middle School a place where students want to be.

I thought the kids might just blow it off since I'm not their regular teacher, and a number of them don't like to write. But I was pleasantly surprised. I received many thoughtful responses. One anonymous writer admitted to having "a dark past" but vowed to put that behind and make a fresh start. Many wrote that they are willing to put in their own time to plan activities that would include the youngerl students.

Lots of great ideas and positive energy. Now how do we as a staff support those ideas and create opportunities for them to clarify and carry out their goals?

I've given them a voice. Now we need to empower them!

No comments:

Post a Comment