ARFF by Silas

ARFF by Silas

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Risk Taking

Many years ago, I had a conversation with some young men who had been in the habit of vandalizing mailboxes. When I asked them why they did it, they were honest and said it was for the adrenaline rush. They said I just didn't understand that teen agers need to do wild and crazy things. I assured them I understood that need and that there is nothing wrong with being wild and crazy, but their craziness can't hurt them or anyone else or anyone else's property. "Go snowboarding, kayaking, jump off the rocks into the lake." I told them. "But don't mess with my neighbors' mailboxes!"

In the years since that conversation, I have thought about the importance of giving our teens opportunities for healthy risk-taking. And that's just what I got to do today. I was one of the chaperones for the 8th grade trip to Big Sky Ropes Course where the students could try some pretty scary/exciting physical challenges in a safe and supportive environment.

What a thrill to see their determination as they tackled the climbing wall with their hands and feet and guts. Or watch a group of students grabbing a massive rope respond to the leaders command of "Pull!" to lift their classmate to the tree tops. I was so inspired by their courage and the pure joy on their faces when they completed a challenge, that I strapped into a harness, climbed a way high ladder, and threw myself off a tree ledge to fly across the lake on a zip line. In a matter of seconds I had faced one of my most persistant fears, felt the rush, and felt like a teenager again.

Wild and crazy and good fun!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cool! Reminds me that we need to make plans for a snowboarding trip this winter!

    ReplyDelete