ARFF by Silas

ARFF by Silas

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thursday's Health Lesson

Your dream is important. That was today's lesson. Staying mentally healthy is so much easier when you have a vision of good things to come. A new friend, a trip to somewhere, a day off of school or work, finishing a job, having time to create. (a few of my dreams.)

Your dream is important enough to tell it to somebody. And if you tell a healthy person, they will support and encourage the pursuit of that dream.

I told my students how fortunate I was growing up to have parents who supported my dreams. I loved to perform. Dance recitals were the best. I got to dress up in a costume and dance for an auditorium full of people. But an annual performance was not enough for me. When I wasn't performing I was dreaming about performing.

One summer day I said to my mom, "I want to put on a show." Mom didn't hesitate. She said, "Okay, let's get started!"  I called all my friends RIGHT THEN with an urgent message to meet at my house in an hour and bring their little brothers and sisters! By the time my friends and their siblings arrived I had dug out the tutus and sequined costumes, the record player and records and had a vision for the acts we were to perform. As we practiced our songs and dances, Mom made sandwiches and cookies and Koolaid. Dad came home for lunch and hung a big canvas tarp between the tree and the garage for our backyard stage.

We ate Mom's sandwiches, and were ready for an audience. We hopped on bikes and rode around the block stopping at every house to invite all the neighbors for a FREE afternoon show with a cookie and Koolaid reception to follow. And guess what? Most of them came! Makeshift benches on the lawn held moms and babies and a few old folks.

It was a magnificent afternoon of truly quality acts. (I will dig through some old photos and try to post one to prove it. ) And all because I said OUT LOUD, "I want to put on a show."

So take time to dream, share your dream, and support and encourage someone else's dream. It's just so much fun.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the neighborhood tea party! It's easy to think of all the reasons why an idea won't work, but we should focus our energies on finding the ways to make the dream a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see....I dream of taking a trip to a tropical island with two old friends! In January or February. Great lesson for the kids but also for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lesson for all of us, young and old. When I was 24 my dream was to have a cabin in the mountains and live off the land! Now 35 years later, here I am. Now I am dreaming of going to a tropical island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becoming a teacher is a dream that took awhile for me to accept and achieve. No regrets!

    ReplyDelete