ARFF by Silas

ARFF by Silas

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

it's amazing what one plant can do

Week 1 - my little friend spent a lot of time under the table, under his desk, under most anything he could find. we came up with an alternative activity to escape the noise of the world.

Week 2 - i found myself under the music room piano telling him that i support him, i believe in him. we used new tools and made tiny steps forward.

Week 3 - we stayed out from under tables but were dragging our heals. he used the tools but he carried the weight of the world. it was stuck there with super glue, not much i could do. we were too turned around to tell if we'd moved forward or backwards.

Week 4 - while standing at my desk he suddenly hugged me. i said "thank you" and asked if it was for him or for me. the moment of hesitation gave him away, but he said "you looked like you needed one."

this morning i brought him a plant. i found a small, shiny, gold lid from a jar and i told him i had a surprise. "i have a special job for you. i noticed that you are really good at taking care of people and creatures, so i brought you something to take care of. will you help me?" he wanted to smile, but he held it in, looked at me skeptically and said "sure," like he was doing me a favor. when i showed him the plant and the cup his eyes lit up. i told him it would be his job alone to take care of the plant. we talked about how plants need water, but not too much: once in the morning and once before going home should be good. i showed him how to check the soil and we talked about how we all have hard times, plants included, and we need help to prune the sad parts. he gently plucked the dying leaf from the plant and we marveled at how much better it looked.

hard times can weigh us down but today my little friend stood taller and looked lighter. it's amazing what one plant can do.

thanks for the plant, it makes a great gift :)

2 comments:

  1. I was having kind of a downer day. This little story brightened it right up. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story. It reminded me that there is sooooo much more to teaching than the 3Rs.

    ReplyDelete