ARFF by Silas

ARFF by Silas

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Quality Time continued

I've been pondering yesterday's post, and asking myself what it was about the field trip that made it such a powerful learning experience. In the middle of my pondering I heard this quote by an unknown author, "Education is moving from an unconscious to a conscious awareness of ignorance."

That's it. The students and I were put in a position where we became conscious of our ignorance. That can be a scary place, but the teacher had supports in place so that Fear didn't overtake any of us. I didn't know how to work the GPS device, but I did know how to paddle the canoe and keep us safe from capsizing. They knew enough about the JUNO to know what to ask, and a high school student was available to coach them through the process.

So here's what made it a good learning experience:

A challenge just beyond our reach
Enough background knowledge to know that the task was doable
Supports in place when we needed them
And at the end of the day,
a sense of accomplishment,
and a desire to learn more.

Would love to hear about quality times you are having with your students!

1 comment: