ARFF by Silas

ARFF by Silas

Monday, September 14, 2015

Dot Day Lesson

Our school is celebrating International Dot Day tomorrow by wearing and making artful dots. To get in on the fun, I have offered to extend the celebration by going into classrooms and reading the book that started it all, "The Dot" by Peter H. Reynolds.

The book begins with a young girl who tells her teacher that she can't draw. With only two words the teacher influences the girl to explore her creativity through color and shape and design. The girl discovers her ability to create and ends up encouraging another young student who insists he can't draw a straight line even with a ruler.

With encouragement from our art teacher, Heather Epperly, I read "The Dot" to Jill Morely's 3rd graders today. Then I shared my own story of learning to do something I thought I couldn't do.

Years ago, after many failed attempts at trying to grow a garden, I complained to my neighbor, Kathy. Kathy creates beauty with flowers, and I hoped she could help me. I said, "I need some advice. I can't grow flowers."  She answered with two words that inspired me: "Start small." I took Kathy's advice, and with help from family and friends, I created a beautiful flower bed that gets bigger and more colorful every year. I know which flowers need sun, which will thrive in the shade and which ones will survive the neighborhood deer. And I always have flowers to share.

After telling my story I asked the students to think of something they can't do now that they want to be able to do someday. Answers ranged from dong the splits, to driving a car, to flying an airplane. Then they drew themselves doing those things on big white dots of drawing paper.

To end the lesson, I wrote some take-aways on the board. If you can't do something yet:
1. ask for support
2. start small
3. enjoy the process
4. share what you learn with others

What do YOU want to learn to do this school year?

No comments:

Post a Comment