ARFF by Silas

ARFF by Silas

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Bigfork Buddies

It's Day 2 of School and the Bigfork Buddies program is up and running. The high school students met their buddies today. What I love about this program is that it is totally pro-active. Elementary kids who can use the support get paired up with a high school student who is committed to working with their buddy everyday of the school year, one period a day. Teachers sign up the littles in the spring so that we are ready to go as soon as school starts.

A common complaint of school counselors is that they have to spend so much time "putting out fires". that they don't have time to run support groups or do class lessons. I am so blessed to be the counselor at Bigfork Elementary School because I work with solution-focused staff and administrators who place a priority on meeting the social-emotional needs of students. The buddy program, Bigfork's student support groups, monthly character assemblies, and class meetings provide a rich framework of social-emotional and behavioral support for students. I'm occasionally called to help "put out a fire", but the majority of my work is helping to create a caring climate in which both teachers and students can thrive. I love my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment